To celebrate our website launch our team sat down with a selected group of inspiring SuperAgers to learn what fires their unparalleled enthusiasm for life. From marathon running and olympic rowing to climbing Kilimanjaro, stay with us to discover some unique stories proving that age is truly just a number.
We kickstart the series of interviews with Jeremy Gane's, a tour leader who climed Kilimanjaro, Africa's tallest mountain, a great 22 times, out of which once to guide 34 of the Comic Relief celebrity staff to the summit. The 73 year old managing director of his very own safari and trek company is as active as always and has a taste for adventure that's hard to match.
1. What would you consider as your main passion?
Climbing and trekking. I especially love the mountains of East Africa, the Peak District and the Dorset Coast.
2. What motivates you?
Getting out into the great outdoors without doubt.
3. What advice would you give the 20-year old you?
Get out into the natural world more– whether it be an urban park or remote hillside.
4. Which one food, one activity and one daily habit you would never give up on?
Morning muesli, trekking, stretching exercises
5. How does your diet play a role in enabling you to pursue your passion?
I usually follow a leaner and healthy diet to prepare for a climbing expedition.
6. What’s your favourite superfood and why?
Berries and nuts - easy to take as a trekking snack and healthy!
7. If you’ve made a change to a plant-based/more plant-based diet – How would you describe the change and its impact?
I definetely feel lighter and healthier when I tailor my diet around more plant-based foods.
8. How has your approach to nutrition changed over the years and what do you wish you knew sooner?
I gradually reduced meat intake and now only eat fish occasionally, but I am vegetarian most meals. Should have understood more the goodness of wholefoods when I was beginning life as an adult and cooking my own meals.
9. What piece of advice would you give to someone who might be worried about trying something new?
It's always a good time to go on an adventure.
Discover more inspiring stories and advice in the SuperAgers section on the website.